Sunday, February 24, 2013

It Is Over - Life As You Know It....

....the loss of a spouse, the loss of a child.

Recently, a friend of mine lost her husband instantly of a brain aneurysm. He was 33 years old. No accidents or mistakes caused his death, it was his time. 

Now let me preface this post with this, I know it is real easy for me to sit here at my computer and write about this. My husband is at his desk next to me and my kids are sleeping in their beds. I am not trying to say that I understand her loss or her pain. I am trying to put into words how her loss has affected me (someone of her same age, with the same amount of kids, same stage of life). This very post that you are reading, is the post that got me blogging again. Mama Bee No E.....a busy bloggin' mama, was born at midnight the evening I heard of this tragic news. My friend's loss helped me to know in an instant, that I have to say what I need to say NOW, I have to do the things I want to do NOW.

Her Loss has changed me. I has made it alarmingly clear that life as I know it could be over in an instant.


For a couple of months, I have been following Amy Grote on Facebook through her page 'Remembering Ann Reese'. She lost her two year old daughter on Christmas Eve of this past year to a tragic swing set accident. I can't think about my friend and not think about Amy.

Both women, experiencing such loss. Both women, left to pick up the pieces.

Is it possible to live victoriously in this situation? Does one ever feel hope after something like this? How do you not live your life in fear of something else happening? How are you not overwhelmed by anger?

I am a woman of the Christian faith and my head knows the answers to all of these questions, but my heart does not follow so easily in line. My head knows because I believe the Bible to be infallible and I can read what it says about such questions. But my heart says, 'really? is this possible?'.

Well, my heart has caught up because of Amy Grote. If you read her daily reflections, you will see that she has had lots of bad days, suffocating days of grief sprinkled here and there with a good day. It is evident that in every day, both good and bad, she is dying to herself and submitting to the circumstances of her life, trusting that the Lord has a purpose - that His promises to her still stand. She has a white nuckle grip on her relationship with the Lord and does not seem to have any intention of letting go.

If Amy Grote, can loose a child (who was a few months older than my oldest son) and claim these promises to still be true.....

If she can trust that there is a greater purpose to this tragedy and not only that but also that the Lord has plans to prosper her through it.....

then I have to believe in my heart that what God says is true... that...


"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed." Psalm 34:18

"The Lord will give strength to His people; The Lord will bless His people with peace." Psalm 29:11

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts, says the Lord. And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.....The rain and snow come down from the heavens and stay on the ground to water the earth.....It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it." Isaiah 55:8-11

As I have written before in my post about lessons after thirtyPeople die young and healthy and kids get really sick - be grateful for each day because The Lord doesn't promise tomorrow or an easy road.

I am grateful.

Grateful that I can still hug my husband and smell his neck. That my kids are with me and healthy. That there are people like Amy Grote and my friend who can help me remember to cling to these things.


My prayer for Amy and my friend is that they will soon have more days than not where they can claim....


"I waited patiently for the Lord; 
And he inclined to me, 
and heard my cry.
He also brought me up out of the horrible pit,
Out of the miry clay,
And set my feet upon a rock,
And established my steps.
He has put a new song in my mouth-
Praise to our God;
Many will see it and fear,
And will trust in the Lord."
Psalm 40: 1-3 


- Mama Bee No E

5 comments :

  1. Well said. I don't know how I could face tomorrow without the hope of Jesus to pull me through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Georgia,
    What a sweet, sweet surprise to find all of your comments :)
    Thank you for visiting Mama Bee No E - it has really made my day.
    I hope you visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will! I totally know how you feel and am glad to have been a bright spot! :) Also, your comment about your kids' privacy (on some post.. somewhere...) gave me pause. It's such a difficult thing to work through. I've just switched over to wordpress after 7 years on blogger for that very reason. The traffic my recipe posts were getting on our family blog was making me uncomfortable in relation to my girls. Ah.. technology...
    I'm thankful for grace and discernment- just wish I had it all at once. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been rolling around a post in my head about this very topic - Social media and our children (especially the wee ones). Even though Josh and I have stuck firm to our decision thus far, I know it will not be so cut and dry in the future. Hopefully others will join and give their thoughts.....look for that post soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is genius idea and very timely. Also, I don't think it's covered very much. Good thinking. I'll be looking for it. :)

    ReplyDelete