Thursday, February 21, 2013

Kindergarten Didn't Cut It...

......a lot of things I needed to know, I have learned after thirty.





The cliche is that once you leave your twenties, you have to grow up - the party is over, boo hoo. I have found my thirties to be a period of growth - a time where I have started to really see myself and those around me. Some of the things I have learned have been bubbling in me for a while and I have just now been able to put words to them.

Below I have put together a list of things I have learned since my thirtieth birthday. This list is ever expanding and changing. What you see here is just what was on my heart today. They are in no particular order. I would be honored if you would comment below on any that strike a cord with you or if you have any that you would like to share that aren't mentioned (and you don't have to be 30 yet, that just happens to be my age of maturity :).


  1. I don't like crust on my sandwich. I cut it off....and I am not going to make my kids eat it if they don't want to.
  2. My body is aging and I have to purposefully take care of it.
  3. My insecurities may have been rooted by someone/something outside of me, but I keep them alive or kill them.
  4. Having kids changes you. Finally, someone to focus on besides myself. And p.s. why did I ever complain about not having time?
  5. I don't like being pregnant, but the end certainly justifies the means.
  6. I am responsible for my actions and I must be accountable be for them.
  7. If I continue to participate in a relationship that is hurtful, I am to blame.
  8. My parents weren't all bad or all good. I don't have to be like them unless I choose to. It is my job to be a thoughtful, intentional parent. Sometimes I choose to do things the way they did and some times I don't.
  9. I can live without cable tv and actually prefer it that way.
  10. Being 32 does make me less naive but doesn't make me an expert.
  11. People die young and healthy and kids get really sick - be grateful for each day because The Lord doesn't promise tomorrow or an easy road.
  12. Your past doesn't excuse your present.
  13. A marriage on autopilot will sooner or later crash, my husband is changing and growing, just like me, we must invest in each other today and each day ahead of us.
  14. My children are a priority and are PART of my life, not my whole life.
Josh and I at our thirtieth birthday party in 2010.

- Mama Bee No E

4 comments :

  1. I am not yet 30.. but close.

    6. I am responsible for my actions and I must be accountable be for them.
    Holding myself accountable is difficult, especially when I am guilty of doing something I probably should not have, and even more so when my actions have an affect on someone other than myself. I work really hard to own up to my actions and avoid blaming others.

    7. If I continue to participate in a relationship that is hurtful, I am to blame.
    Sometimes it is hard to recognize how hurtful or toxic a relationship is until I take the initiative to step back and reflect. As I get older I am learning that quality, healthy relationships are far and few between. I am ok with quality over quantity in order to protect my emotional well-being.

    9. I can live without cable tv and actually prefer it that way.
    I have not owned a TV since I got a tiny one for Christmas when I was 15 or 16. I have not paid for cable.. ever. I am still alive and well.
    I do love Netflix and Hulu on my laptop, but I do not pay for those either. ;)

    12. Your past doesn't excuse your present.
    DUH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Quality over quantity" - yes.

      "Netflix" - double yes....I am going to be including it in my Mama Toolbox in a future post.

      Delete
  2. "My insecurities may have been rooted by someone/something outside of me, but I keep them alive or kill them."

    This is an issue for me. I am often openly criticizing myself and John has the best response..."please don't talk like that about my wife." I have to realize that what I say and how I feel about myself affects John and will ultimately impact how Harper feels about herself. I need to put my big girl panties on and deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't husbands great? Mine has helped me so much with seeing myself through my lens rather than someone else's.

      Delete