Tuesday, March 5, 2013

White Knuckled and Weary - Trying to Draw Blood From a Stone

Yesterday, a verse crossed my path two separate times and I knew that there was something there for me to find.

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." - Matthew 11:28-30

Sometimes I feel that I work, work, work and rather than feeling accomplishment, I feel like a hamster. The activities of daily life drain me rather than fill me.

I am weary of...
-telling my son "No" so many times in a day that I forget how/or why I am disciplining him.
-working so hard on my body, to look in the mirror and only see flaws.
-cleaning and cleaning my house only for it to STILL look like a wreck. 
How is it possible that only a couple of weeks after feeling so impacted by a friend's tragedy, I am so weary of these little, LITTLE things?



It is possible, because I am looking to these tasks to render something they are not designed to give. I am trying to draw blood from a stone.

The well disciplined child, the strong-toned body, the well kept home are all noble and necessary but in and of themselves do not fulfill. My weariness, my heavy yoke comes from seeking fulfillment in these alone.

Reflection and Prayer - They are my energy pool.
"Draw near to the Lord and He will draw near to you." - James 4:8
When I draw near to the Lord, I am like a tall glass slowly being filled with cool water.
When I draw near to Him, I see myself and my world through His lens....
-My son is a soul to be molded, not a soldier to fall in line.
-My body has come so far since that day, July 31st 2012, when I took my first steps after giving birth for the second time - with staples in my belly - so racked with pain just to stand up straight. 
-My home is a place where meals are shared, books are read, toys are played with and WE Four Individuals are a FAMILY. 
Today, I am reminded to draw near and be filled.
Today, I choose His yoke and burden, which are easy and light.

- Mama Bee No E

4 comments :

  1. Loved this...so in tune with the very thing I posted. Glad to be learning the same things and to be growing in grace. I'll be sharing this on my FB page--thanks for linking up, Brook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth,

      Thanks for your comment. I am really enjoying your blog. Hope you come back to visit Mama Bee No E soon.

      Delete
  2. I love this, Brook. It is such a powerful reminder. I need reminding daily! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet, Elin. I loved seeing you last night. The Lord poured into my heart through our fellowship.

    ReplyDelete