Monday, April 22, 2013

Earth Day 2013 - [Kid's Book] + [Must Read]

Happy Earth Day Greeting


Happy Earth Day everyone! Today I bring to you two Mama Bee No E reading recommendations. One is a Kid's Book for the littles and one is a Must Read for the adults.

Earth Day [Kid's Book]

I found this book at the very beginning of April when our librarian was getting the Children's Library ready for Earth Day. This selection was featured on one of the display shelves and it instantly caught my eye. The reason - it is a very simple picture book about conservation that is perfect for the littlest of littles (most kid's books I have found on Earth Day and conservation are more detailed and intended for older kids). The book is 10 Things I Can Do To Help My World by Melanie Walsh.

10 Things I Can Do to Help My World by Melanie Walsh
ISBN #: 978-0-7636-4144-3

For starters, this book is printed on 100% Recycled Material.

Each page has one or two line conservation tips, which makes it a fast read - perfect for toddlers.

[F] loves the different shaped die cut edges of each page. He was so excited to see what was next.

I even learned something new from this book - You can save 18 glasses of water if you turn off the sink while you brush your teeth. That is a lot of water! (See Illustration Below)

A definite must read for your littles on Earth Day (or any day for that matter :).
10 Things I Can Do to Help My World by Melanie Walsh (Illustration)


Earth Day [Must Read]

Recently, I recommended The Lorax on my Kid's Book Page. While I was writing the post, I stumbled upon The Lorax Project. This is a project set up by the folks at Dr. Seuss's Seussville. It's focus is to encourage adults and children to partner up and act on behalf of the planet. 

I loved all of the resources available at their website www.theloraxproject.com. They have desktop screen savers, activities, and much more. I will use this site as a resource for my boys for years to come. The favorite thing I found was a list of things I can do with my kids to teach them about helping the planet and conservation. Almost all of the things on this list, I can do with [F] & [B] right now even though they are young.


I hope you enjoy these Earth Day Resources.

For more reading recommendations - check out my Kid's Books and Must Reads pages.

- brook.

4 comments :

  1. I'd definitely get this book. It is right up my alley. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mia- Your girls would love it. Hope all is well with your family. Happy Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used the Lorax to help teach a science unit on reduce, reuse, and recycle. The kids lovvveeeeddd it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rae- There are so many applications for this story. I just love it, love it.

    ReplyDelete