Sunday, July 28, 2013

A Couple of Things Every Woman Should Know About C-Sections

My littlest turns one this week. So, I have been reminiscing about my birthing experiences with both of my boys. Although they were both very different, they were both by C-Section.

I don't remember where I got this feeling that the world thinks women who have C-Sections are taking the easy way out - and by 'easy' I mean planned, scheduled, no labor, 20 minutes...you are done.

Maybe I read too deeply into it when I would hear women say - "I chose a natural delivery - I wanted my body to do it's thing and for my baby to come on their own time."

I took me the better part of 6 months after my first C-Section to not be angry that my body didn't do what I thought it should do. I prayed and then stopped praying and then started again so angry that I didn't have the delivery that I had planned in my head.

It was hard at first to come to terms with the fact that things did not go as I wanted.  I was angry with my body and with the Lord - wondering, 'why couldn't things have gone more naturally…..more smoothly.' But as I grew in my role as a mother, I came to understand that each delivery was as the Lord wanted it to be. I am thankful that the medical interventions I experienced were available to me, because otherwise it may not have turned out so well. 

So, here are 3 things every childbearing woman should know about C-Sections:

1. You might have to have a C-Section (even if you have delivered vaginally before) - So read about what they are. The Mayo Clinic offers a great overview here.

2. If you have a C-Section - you are not a bad mom. In fact, you are a great one. You just let someone slice into your abdomen to deliver your baby.

3. Natural birth mom's aren't judging you - Okay, maybe they are.... but just know that they would have chosen the same path if they knew it meant life or death for their child. And P.S. - vaginal births can be pretty messy too.


I now know firmly within my heart that every mother's birthing experience is designed specifically to bond her, for life, to her child.

It is cool to think that my delivery with each of my boys was custom fit for them and unique to any other delivery experienced by others. It is something that only myself, my husband, and my child share and understand fully…..that is pretty amazing.




My heart changed about my delivery experience when I saw this painting. 

This beautiful piece of art is by Amanda Greavette  and is titled..


'Ring the bells that still can ring,
Forget your perfect offering,

There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.' (L. Cohen)


Those of you who know a mom about to deliver or one who is beating herself up about her birthing experience - please share this post with her.

Thanks for reading.

This post is part of my Diary.

- brook.

2 comments :

  1. Wonderful post Brook. Because of my c-section and Milly being over 9 pounds, I couldn't carry her to her doctors appointments by myself. As I watched other women come in seemingly having it all together, I felt like I wasn't good enough. Then it finally hit me how much fun Jason and I had taking Milly together. The c-section turned out to be the biggest blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, Welcome to Mama Bee No E! I hope you and your family are doing well.

    ReplyDelete