Sunday, December 15, 2013

Do It For The Sake of Doing It

In other words, do it for the purpose of doing it and for no other reason.



Today I saw this photograph on Humans of New York.



With this caption.

"I had a whole vision. I wasn’t a pro, but I could film from different angles and stuff. I was going to have a whole YouTube channel with different kids doing rap battles. I worked really hard at it, but nobody except my friends ever looked at it. And all the adults in my life told me that I was wasting my time. So one day I got mad at life, and started deleting, deleting, deleting, until it was all gone."


And it got me to thinking about this little blog, that does not garner very much attention except for a handful of faithful followers (that I love :).

I had to ask myself.....

Does this blog mean less because there are only a few who read it?

Would my writing mean more if more people responded?

I think every person desires positive responses to the things they do. And if they really care about 'that thing' they do, the response means more.

For me, it is blogging, but for you it could be something else that you do creatively (baking, sewing, etc.). You want people to think it is great, right?

At times I think that it would be awesome to have a large following of mamas to this little corner of the Internet, most of the time, though, I love it for what it is......which is a place where I can write for the sake of writing and nothing else.

The act of writing and posting, clears my head and it helps me release this itch that is inside. Motherhood, like most every role in life, can feel isolating - this place helps me to get it out there. Even if no one responds, I have communicated.

The act of doing for the sake of doing makes this therapeutic. The man in the picture let the response over take something he really loved. What is great about true creativity is that eventually it will find a way out again, even if it has been stifled.

Is there something you do for the sake of doing? OR something you 'should' be doing for the sake of doing (and nothing else)?

Thanks for reading.

- brook.

p.s. I love it when you guys leave me little notes or give me a thumbs up......but I won't get mad and delete this if you don't :) and now you can also Follow my blog with Bloglovin if you so choose :)

4 comments :

  1. "Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity"-Simon Weil...but I've learned not to hold my breath waiting or lose heart by hoping...and I truly cherish the attention which does come my way. Most importantly, knowing how lovely attention feels, I try to be generous and give it undivided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that quote :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brook, I completely understand! I love to hear that people enjoy my baking. In November and December I have had very few orders. At first I was really bummed, but then I remembered why I started baking in the first place...because I love it. Love the act of baking, the smell that fills my home, and that my guys enjoy that tasty act if love. Keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, you are the best. So encouraging.

    ReplyDelete