Thursday, February 6, 2014

Craft Punch Valentine

It is day four of Valentine crafts here on Mama Bee No E and today I bring to you.....Craft Punch Valentines :)

When we started this activity, I wasn't sure how it would turn out. I was inspired by a hole punch valentine I saw on Wait 'Til Your Father Gets Home but wasn't sure if my littles were strong enough to handle a single hole punch.

So, I got the supplies that we had on hand and came up with a plan.

I had these two craft punches that had been given to me by a dear friend a couple of years ago that I had never used.

Originally, I was going to have them punch holes in card stock but that was WAY to thick for their little arm muscles :) So, I went with a very thin bond of paper - even thinner than printer paper.

I happened to have these Valentine Printed Papers from a couple of years ago that did the job  (see, I never throw out a craft supply.....NEVER...I reuse gift wrap, magazine ads, anything that I think is pretty - and that keeps me from blowing my budget to do crafts with my kids).

So, if you don't happen to have Valentine Printed Paper ;) use old tissue paper, wrapping paper, cut up an old gift bag that has a pretty print....or dive into a magazine to find a beautiful image (interior magazine/ads are great for this).

If you don't have a craft punch, use a three hole punch or single hole punch. See how this works? Use what you have and usually, it comes out better than you expect :)

So, on with the crafting. Here are the supplies (I had major mama brain and didn't include all of them in the photo :) See full list below.



1. Card Stock  2. Thin Printed Paper  3. Washi Tape (optional)  4. Craft Punches or Hole Punch of some sort  5. Glue  6. Scissors  7. Pen

We started by punching holes in the printed paper. My 18 month old punched with my help and then sat their playing with the punched pieces for the remainder of the time :) gosh, he is a sweet one :)


He felt included and 'big' and that is all that matters to me. I want him to feel like he is a part of our craft time - even though he is little :)

My fiercely independent older one (who is nothing like me ;) was insistent that I not touch him, guide him, or help him in any way :) HE was going to punch those holes, no matter what.


And he did, even though it was tough....he did :) This was great practice in fine motor skills and developing hand strength.


I cut out individual punches and he helped me glue them on....with the big boy glue. This was a moment where I had to let him do it - even though my controlling self was screaming on the inside "that is too much glue!" :).

I had to let him...because every time I gave him a new paper to glue, he would say "I am doing this with YOU, mama." And he felt so proud of himself :)



And this is the result of our time together. I think they turned out pretty cute. There are so many ways you could take this....you could even use the punched out part for a valentine.

I hope this post inspires you to stretch yourself when it comes to crafting with your kids. You never know how great it will make your kids feel and how wonderful it may turn out :)

This post is part of....


Thanks for reading.

- brook.

No comments :

Post a Comment