Monday, June 23, 2014

Quiet Visitor

The other night, just before dusk, we headed out for an evening walk. The littles were especially squirrely and needed to release some 'end of day energy'.

[B] was the first of the group to head outside. While the rest of us were busy in the garage and kitchen putting on shoes - he stood in the driveway, looking into the woods behind our house.

When I came out to check on him, he turned where he stood to face me.

His face was as white as a sheet. With a trembling voice he said....

"Mommy, I am scary."

.....meaning I am scared :(

His way of saying things these days is so stinkin' cute :)

My heart dropped, thinking it might be a coyote or fox (we have had several of those in years past).

I ran to sweep him up and looked toward the woods.

20 yards away stood the most beautiful female dear.

She looked back at us with such confidence. She did not move. She showed no signs of fear. She just stared at us.

I called out for [F] to come join us. He ran out of the house - I thought for sure she would be gone when I looked back.

She was still there. Her ears twitched as evening bugs touched her head. She nibbled something on the ground and then raised her head again.

We were amazed. Even, Fig was silent, which is so unlike her considering the size of our visitor.

After another 30 seconds or so, the deer casually turned and slowly walked into the woods.

Such a sweet summer time treat :)

Our quiet visitor reminded me of one of my favorite songs.

As the Deer by Martin Nystrom Sheet Music

Thanks for reading.

- brook.

2 comments :

  1. One of my favorite songs from childhood. Thank you for writing about this sweet moment.

    ReplyDelete