Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Rescue Doggy

The other day I was reminded of how intently the boys listen - even if they don't show it.

[F] and I were taking care of some potty business when he said, out of the blue....

"Mommy, is goosey a rescue doggy?"

"Yes, baby, she is."

(Although, I haven't said it recently - apparently he has heard me refer to her as a 'rescue' in the past.)

"That means that goosey came to help you, right?"

I smiled at his perfectly logical toddler thinking.

"Well, it means that we gave her a home when she didn't have one, but I guess....now that I think about it - yes, she helps us too."

Boy and Rescue Dog

Anyone who has met Fig, or as the boys call her 'goosey' (the name change is a story for another day :), is in awe of how sweet and gentle she is.

They wonder where we got her and what kind of dog she is.

She is a mix :) of what?...we don't know, and she needed a home, so we 'rescued' her.

But everyday, her quiet, steady, grateful nature is such a help to our family.

Fig's presence has taught all of us how to care for small, fragile things....and that no matter how big you are, you can help those around you.

I am thankful for her and how good she is to us, especially my boys.

Thanks for reading.

- brook.

3 comments :

  1. She looks so sweet! Our rescue dog is exactly the same... It's like he's so grateful to have a home he's just always sweet and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got teary-eyed reading this. I love that sweet dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, she still loves you the best :)

    ReplyDelete