Monday, February 16, 2015

Kitchen Service - Mary Heart / Martha World [Week 6]


We've been filled with great treasure for one purpose, to be spilled. [pg. 82]


After I read chapter 1 of this book, I looked at the table of contents and Chapter 6 stood out to me (I almost skipped to it, but I didn't).

I wanted to read about this concept of Kitchen Service and how it would fit into the puzzle of the Mary and Martha story. Is Kitchen Service allowed? For so long I have wondered.

I wanted to learn how to be more of a Mary without squashing the Martha that is so much a part of me.

Joanna fills this chapter with the truth that we are vessels.

We are made to be loved and filled by God and then to serve others. Kitchen Service is a key piece to living like Jesus.


So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you?
"You have called Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet."
"For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you."
John 13:12-15


This was Jesus' 'Kitchen Service'.

Even though he was the greatest of us, He served through work. 

Kitchen Service, you see, isn't optional for Christians. We're supposed to spend a good part of our time following our Lord's example. [pg. 82]

I have a confession.

Before this book, I didn't like to read the story of Mary and Martha.

I felt it was the Lord's way of asking me to stop being myself and start being someone else.

I am the busy one who often holds resentment for others not pulling their weight. And besides - how unreasonable of Jesus - we have to eat, someone has to keep the laundry going, and the house tidy. And really, what is wrong with throwing a beautiful party.

Even though I had read this passage of scripture many times, I was missing a key detail.


When Jesus rebuked Martha, he wasn't rebuking her act. He was rebuking her attitude. [pg. 86]


The Lord is calling me to an attitude adjustment.

Serve, but do it with an open and receptive heart.


Duty gets offended, quickly if it isn't appreciated, but love learns to laugh a lot and to work for the sheer joy of doing it. [pg. 90]

This passage from Linda Anderson reminds me of a well known quote that I have hanging in my laundry room.



The Lord loves Mary, but He also dearly loves Martha.


...the key is not in our activity, but in our receptivity to God's voice - and in our willingness to be used in whatever ways he brings to our attention. [pg. 94]


This week you and I are called to the Living Room to be filled by the Lord and then ushered to the kitchen to serve with a renewed heart.



Let's talk about it.....

If you feel led, please comment below about all or just one of these items. We will focus on this chapter all week, so please jump in any day you find time. Also, please feel free to respond to others who have commented, let us encourage each other.

1. Question #1 from the study guide asks - Who was the first Christian in your life to live in such a way that you could clearly see Christ? How did that person affect your life?

2. Question #4 from the study guide asks - In what unexpected ways could we wash the feet of those around us?

3. What spoke most to you from this chapter?

I look forward to hearing form you :)

- brook.

* All quotes mentioned above are noted by page number and are taken from 'Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World' by Joanna Weaver.

** Find out more about Joanna's ministry and how to purchase her books here.




4 comments :

  1. Such a true depiction of the Gospel and the life of Jesus in this chapter. Without love, we're nothing! I have a friend who told a story of sitting at Chick fil A watching her children play alongside another woman. The two were very different in a few ways, age, ethnicity, education... but something told my friend to talk to the woman. So she did and boy did the woman talk. During the talk, my friend wanted to go because she had a lot of errands to run but she said she felt that still small voice say to talk to the woman about God so my friend did... It actually came naturally in the conversation. One thing led to another and the lady had been an addict and shared she struggled staying away from pain pills because of her bad back. My friend prayed with the woman over her ailments, exchanged numbers and said goodbye. Two weeks later my friend received a call from the other lady stating she had not had one pain since the women had prayed together! praise God! I've not been able to move past this story when I think of interruptions in my day. What an awesome reminder that we can be the love, the voice, the ear, the prayer for someone in need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I thought this posted on Thursday and then see that I never hit post. Really? Where is my brain? Trapped in a loud child's need, I guess. :)

    I love the quote in this chapter from Dwight L. Moody, "of one hundred men, one will read the Bible; the ninety-nine will read the Christian." This is from the man that made it a life mission to publish and distribute the Bible, so that it can be available to everyone. Amazing! I must show Christ to others through my example.

    Along the same lines, "You are a letter from Christ...," Paul reminded the Christians at Corinth, "written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stones but on tablets of human hearts" (2 Corinthians 3:3)

    I try to show my true self with others because I feel like hypocrisy can kill relationships. Of course everyone is a hypocrite some times, even little, old me, but I try not to be because I have seen it work against so many people in their witness. God gives you experiences so you can relate to others, so why not share them.

    I love the paragraph about "service without spirituality is exhausting and hopeless. But in the same respect, spirituality without service is barren and selfish. We need to unite the two and do it all 'as unto the Lord'." I think lots of times when you are serving with someone then is the time when they really open up. I remember a time when I was cleaning bathrooms with a girl at the end of a mission trip and I had known her for awhile because of her kids, but I didn't really know her story. She opened up about her struggle with an abusive ex and how he had such a stronghold on her still, even though he was in prison for trying to kill her. She asked that I pray for her because he was going to get out of prison in a few years and she was so scared she would go back to him. In that moment of service we were able to connect during the work and I have prayed since for her many times concerning this issue and our friendship has grown also. I used to struggle with doing the work and getting angry if I didn't feel like others were doing the same amount of work. My feelings have lessened over the years, as I guess, I have seen more people and personalities. That is something that I have to get over and that I think this chapter really addressed in me. We are God's rag dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "the love, the voice, the ear, the prayer for someone in need"


    Yes! I love this. Staying open to the quiet whisper of the Lord to be present with those around us is so important.


    And the enemy wants us to believe that our prayers are empty, but our prayers are the most powerful thing we can do because only in that time can we call on the strength and power of the Holy Spirit.


    Love this....thanks for sharing, Jen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joney......your's and mine both, friend. 'Minds caught up in a loud child's need' :) AMEN!
    I love the scripture you mentioned above (2 Corinthians 3:3). I am going to include that in my next study time.

    Thank you for sharing the story about your friend from the mission trip. Like Jen's comment, it speaks to the importance of being available to others in the unlikely moments.
    We never know when the person next to us needs to share and be heard.
    Thank you for encouraging me in this truth.


    Love your thoughts this week.

    ReplyDelete