Monday, March 30, 2015

Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World - Mary Heart / Martha World [Week 12]


I haven't arrived, but I know where I am headed. [pg. 193]

This book has changed my life in so many ways. More than anything, it has made me realize how neglected my relationship with Christ has been.

That is the greatest gift from Joanna's writing - clear eyes for Jesus.

What God started on the day I surrendered my life to him, he will complete as I continually remain surrendered. It takes a process for me to become the kind of Christian I want to be - but Jesus Christ is lord of the Process, and the process is divine. [pg. 196]

A teachable heart, that is my most prized possession.

With a heart surrendered to His molding:

my weakness is His strength, my smallness is His bigness, in my hard places His grace abounds.

So, I pray that where perseverance is needed, His grace will draw my eyes to Him.

I pray that I will have a heart inclined toward Heaven, a heart that longs for His presence.

I love, love, love this quote Joanna includes from Mother Teresa....

Give yourself fully to God. He will use you to accomplish great things on the condition that you believe much more in his love than in your own weakness. [pg. 205]

So often I magnify the power of my weakness rather than the power of His love to do a great work through me.

So, I leave you with this final thought - a prayer from Joanna Weaver included in her daily devotional, At the feet of Jesus....

Lord Jesus, I give You my life.
I invite You to have your way in me.
Take me and break me. Shake me and make me.
Fill me and spill me. Change me and rearrange me.
But whatever You do, Lord, don't leave me the same.
Spirit of wisdom and revelation, I welcome Your work.
Open my eyes so I can see....my ears so I can hear....
I choose truth over comfort, challenge over complacency.
Lord, make me forever Yours.
And most of all, make me like You.
Amen. 




Let's talk about it.....

If you feel led, please comment below. We will focus on this chapter all week, so please jump in any day you find time. Also, please feel free to respond to others who have commented, let us encourage each other.

What spoke most to you from this chapter?

I look forward to hearing form you :)

- brook.

* All quotes mentioned above are noted by page number and are taken from 'Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World' by Joanna Weaver.

** Find out more about Joanna's ministry and how to purchase her books here.

1 comment :

  1. This book has really helped me move in a direction away from complacency and toward getting more wrapped up in God's Word. I am worker, like Martha, but I have gotten called out, like Martha, in a challenge of "are you spending that time with me that is need". Like I said in the beginning, I always assumed this story of Martha and Mary was just to say that Jesus was that one thing that is needed, which of course is true, but I believe the true message of these Bible stories is draw closer to God through Bible reading, prayer, time, serving, etc. God wants that relationship with us.

    This chapter kept mentioning perseverance and previously I thought of that as just keep doing something over and over again. However, that is easy to just do the same old thing. Now I see it is not just doing the same thing but pushing yourself outside your limits with a purpose, steady persistence in a course of action in spite of difficulties. Phillipians 1:6 - "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus". 1:9-11 - "And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ - to the glory and praise of God". That is my prayer after re-reading this book. That I will keep up the work that God has placed me in, learn more about Him, make steps in my relationship with God every day, so that this work will glorify God and impact others for Christ.

    Thank you Brook for hosting this Bible study! Even though I had just finished it when we started this up, I feel like more has been revealed and my knowledge of God has grown and my relationship strengthened through spending time in the Word.

    ReplyDelete